history montage
the bickford arms
photo of a stagecoach
The Bickford Arms was originally part of the Dunsland Estate, an extensive holding that once stretched across large parts of North Devon. The estate was gradually broken up and it passed through the hands of several major court and political families, principal among which were the Cadiho, Arscott, Dabernon and Bickford families. These, and two other minor families, are commemorated in both the names of our bedrooms and the pub itself.
The photographs and drawings show the pub between the end of the 19th century and the present day. The woods shown in the photograph from the 1900s are still there. The bow windows to the front had been added by the 1920s. The photo from the 1980s shows the pub before an attempt at ‘thatched restoration’ (shown on the about us page) and was one of the photographs that provided a template for rebuilding the pub after the disastrous fire in 2003.

The Bickford Arms at Brandis Corner around 1900


A sketch showing the pub with the addition of bow windows to the front

The pub as it appeared in the 1980s

 
The Bickford Arms in 2005 after rebuilding and restoration

The Bickford Arms | Brandis Corner | Holsworthy | EX22 7XY | Call us on: +44 (0)1409 221318